VMware Cloud Community
anshumanmathur
Contributor
Contributor

Number of VMs is 0 in vCloud Director

I have 2 ESX servers with about 4-5 VMs on each of them. After attaching the vCenter I created 2 provider vDCs and added one ESX to each vDC. The host is getting prepared and enabled and the vDCs are getting created properly but in the Hosts section the number of VMs is showing 0 although there are 4-5 VMs in both the ESX servers. Please help.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

you will not be able to view VM precreated before vCloud Director. all VM is visible if it is being created via the catalog. if you would want the VM to be viewable you can try to clone or move the VM into the vCloud Director.

tutorial on moving VM into vCloud Director. http://www.hypervizor.com/2010/09/migrating-your-vms-from-vsphere-to-vcloud-director-and-vice-versa/

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

anshumanmathur
Contributor
Contributor

hey thanks for the help..

I followed the procedure given in your link to migrate the VMs from vSphere to vCD.

While trying to import one of the VMs from vSphere to vCD I get error saying "Failed to clone virtual machine vyatta-router. Unable to find any host available for resource pool." (see attached image).

Do you have any idea where I could be going wrong?

0 Kudos
anshumanmathur
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the procedure given in your link to migrate the VMs from vSphere to vCD.

While trying to import one of the VMs from vSphere to vCD I get error saying "Failed to clone virtual machine vyatta-router. Unable to find any host available for resource pool." (see attached image).

0 Kudos
anshumanmathur
Contributor
Contributor

While trying to import one of the VMs from vSphere to vCD I get error saying "Failed to clone virtual machine vyatta-router. Unable to find any host available for resource pool."

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

have you added all hosts to be vCloud Directory ready (they sort of preparing something in background) and also you need to create PvDC and there after a resource pool will appear. one of the easier way is to login to the main page of the vcloud director and have it complete all the steps shown in the first page.

check this video out http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102629...

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
anshumanmathur
Contributor
Contributor

I have already created the PvDC. Its prepared and enabled properly.

However, while creating an external network, we first select the vCenter and the vSphere network(portgroup). Just below that there is a box where its should show the provider vDCs that would connect to the external network. But in my case the PvDC I had created is not showing in the box.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i wish i could help you. When the PvDC is being created, vCD will instruct vCenter to create a resource pool based on this PvDC policies. thereafter all ufture VM will be placed inside this PvDC (when view from vcloud webpage) or resource pool (when view from vsphere client). i think if you get that part right you should be able to proceed.

0 Kudos