VMware Cloud Community
snjksh
Contributor
Contributor

'Not ready' error for VXLAN traffic

Hi,

Getting 'Not ready' error while configuring Network connectivity for VXLAN traffic. Please refer the attached screenshot & suggest.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may find that the VIB isn't installing at deploy time.  You can install the correct vib via VUM if you have it setup.  This blog post may help:-

http://www.vclouds.nl/vib-module-for-agent-is-not-installed-on-host-vshield-vxlan-service/

the only other thing that tripped me up initially was having to configure my switch to run DHCP on the vLAN that the VXLAN will use.  For the Cisco switch in my lab I did this:-

ip dhcp pool vxlan-205

network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 10.10.10.1

vlan 205

name lab-test-vlan5

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 914

switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,205

switchport mode trunk

interface Vlan205

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

Danny

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
0 Kudos
emaroserba
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here, but uploading and installing vxlan.zip using Update Manager didn't resolve the issue.

Also, the "resolve" button in vShield Manager isn't clickable (btw I've static addresses assigned to the interface on the backing vLAN of the existing hosts).

Opened a SR to VMware, will update here as soon as they resolve.

0 Kudos
sree_84
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Check the eam.log in the virtual center (C:\Program Data\VMware\Virtual Center Srever\Logs) for any errors whilc pushing the vxlan vib to hosts.

0 Kudos
emaroserba
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, sree, thanks but as I said we had the error also manually pre-installing VXLAN.zip using UM, anyway no errors related in the log, and I've already checked that vShield manager and vCenter are reachable from the host and that the package locaton is accesible.

The problem was resolved by a VMware support representative as follow:

- he created a dummy cluster

- moved the host in the dummy cluster

- prepared the host for joining the DVswitch in the dummy cluster

- moved back the host to the production cluster

Thanks to this workaround we were able to put in  production the host, anyway the root cause is still a bit unclear.

0 Kudos
emaroserba
Contributor
Contributor

Anyway, to answer to the original post, the Not Ready error here was caused by the lack of either a DHCP server on backing vLAN for VXLAN or a manually configured IP address for the host's interface on this vLAN.

0 Kudos