VMware Cloud Community
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Graceful shutdown of vShield App

Hello,

I have deployed the vshield app to each of the hosts in my environment.  I have also configured the vshield app VM to gracefully startup and shutdown with the host.  This works well, however, now when I attempt to enter maintenance mode on any of the hosts it gets stuck at 2% because the vshield app VM is pinned to the host with a host affinity rule.  Even if all other workload moves off successfully the host cannot enter maintenance mode because the vshield app is still running on the host and has nowhere to go.

My question is, it is possible to have certain VMs gracefully shut down whenever I attempt to place the host into maintenance while the others vMotion off? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
amatt240
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is your vCNS/vShield version? This was a bug at one point where Appliances would try and move/power on to a different host, but that was fixed.

What could be happening is if had the previously mentioned bug and you are using Affinity rules to lock the appliances to the host, it would cause that issue.

You should not be using manual affinity rules for the vShield App or Edge (vShield Manager will automatically create anti-affinity rules for Edges).

0 Kudos