VMware Cloud Community
KevinClawson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting "vcenter user has not been assigned a role on vshield manager"

Has anyone seen the above error when logging in to vcenter as the domain admin? I am inching ever close to a vCloud deployment and I would really like to be able to access these things from vSphere, though I know many things can be changed from VCD also. I just dont like seeing silly errors. Am I doing something wrong or is vSphere having an issue. If you have a suggestion, let me know! Thanks

-Kevin

7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Kevin,

If it prompts vCenter user DOMAIN\user1 has not been assigned a role on vShield Manager..., proceed to vShield Manager web interface, add the user (vCenter, not local). However, enter user1 with domain name e.g. DOMAIN\user1. In my case, it worked.
Please feedback whether it works.
Fu Yong
DaveatWin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi vfuyong,

This worked for me, thank you for posting.   Incidentally for others searching for this error,  my error said "vCenter user 'DOMAINuser1' has not been assigned a role on vShield Manager".  It was curious to me that it had the domain in there without the backslash, i.e - instead of "DOMAIN\user1". 

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been playing with vCenter 5.1.0A and vCloud Networking and Security 5.1.1.

I needed to add users or groups as the FDQN of my local domain.

Your domain is widgets.local

Add the user or group add widgets.local\user or widgets.local\group

This is from the documentation on page 34.

NOTE If the vCenter user is from a domain (such as a SSO user), then you must enter a fully qualified windows domain path. This will allow the default vShield Manager user (admin) as well as the SSO default user (admin) to login to vShield Manager. This user name is for login to the vShield Manager user interface, and cannot be used to access the vShield App or vShield Manager CLIs.

VCP3 & VCP4 32846 VSP4 VTSP4
Raman_Shcharbak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Box293,

using FQDN for the domain solved the problem for me

0 Kudos
cperkins001
Contributor
Contributor

Box293, using the FQDN also worked for me. Thank you.

0 Kudos
DGrosh
Contributor
Contributor

adding DOMAIN\USERNAME to the Users tab of vShield Manager worked for me, I made my user a Enterprise Manager with all the defaults.

0 Kudos
DGrosh
Contributor
Contributor

an update on my first post I was using 5.0 and the Domain names I was using was in the old NetBIOS format for example COMPANY-HQ\USERNAME then I did an upgrade to 5.1 and that no longer worked and changed the user in vShield Manager to the FQDN COMPANY.ORG\USERNAME and it worked.

0 Kudos