VMware Cloud Community
chadmichael
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

External Network Configuration

I'm creating an external network for my evaluation vCloud.  I only plan to have a single one.  During the creation, there is the "configure external network" page.  You can add rows to the configuration, each one apparently being a external subnet that you will hook into.  I have a couple of questions.

1) When it says "Add Subnet" on the wizard, and it's asking for gateway and netmask, we're ARE talking the external subnet, correct?

2) Why can I add more than one row?  It seems, particularly since my underlying port group is a single VLAN/subnet, that it wouldn't make sense to add more than a single subnet here.  Under what circumstances would I add more than one subnet row to this configuration?

Thanks,

Chad

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So when you add an external network, you pick a vSphere port group.

1. you give the information required to configure NIC cards to be attached to that network, so yes ... whatever is on the actual physical network.

2. some companies only want to allocate specific subsets ... maybe the initial set of IP addresses are free, because it's shared with the physical realm.

Later on, maybe you free up more ... but it's not one continuous block.  then you can add a second range.

It's for flexibility, nothing more.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So when you add an external network, you pick a vSphere port group.

1. you give the information required to configure NIC cards to be attached to that network, so yes ... whatever is on the actual physical network.

2. some companies only want to allocate specific subsets ... maybe the initial set of IP addresses are free, because it's shared with the physical realm.

Later on, maybe you free up more ... but it's not one continuous block.  then you can add a second range.

It's for flexibility, nothing more.

0 Kudos