VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

Can I use Edge as a router between two internal only vSwitches?

I want to use simulate separate sites for the purposes of SRM testing.   I figured vCNS Edge should be able to do this.  I have installed vShield Manager and deployed an Edge,  but can't figure out how to configure it for this task.

Here are the details:

• Single physical ESXi 5.5 host
  • 2 local only vSwitches  (one for each SRM site)
  • 2 VC-SRM servers (one for each SRM site connecting to corresponding local vSwitch)
  • 2 DC servers (one for each SRM site connecting to corresponding local vSwitch)
  • 2 Nested ESXi server (one for each SRM site connecting to corresponding local vSwitch)
  • 2 Nested test VMs (one for each SRM site connecting to corresponding nested vSwitch)
  • 1 Edge device deployed in vCenter that is managing physical ESXi 5.5 server
  • Two internal interfaces on Edge Gateway:
    • Int1 - 192.168.100.1 - Local vSwitch1
    • Int2 - 192.168.200.1 - Local vSwitch2

I want to be able to connect SRM site 1 VMs to the local vSwitch1 and have Edge route to Site 2's subnet.

Is this possible?  Any suggestions on how to configure?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have to route two different Subnet IP address.

If you can route those IP then can communicate SRM site 1 VMs to the local vSwitch1 and have Edge route to Site 2's subnet.

Take care!

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Can the Edge device do that routing if both subnets have an interface on the Edge and they are VM only?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos