VMware Cloud Community
DigitalKatia
Contributor
Contributor

Remove a CIUser

Greetings everyone!

I already did a brief research on the matter, but failed to find a question, so if this question has already been answered I am sorry for the re-post.

My main problem is the following:

I am using PowerCLI version 5.1 release 2 to write scripts and manage my vCloud Director.

I have found a way to add Users into an Organization using the following script:

$role = Search-Cloud -QueryType Role -Name "Organization Administrator" | Get-CIView

$org = Get-Org -Name OrgName

$user = New-Object VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud.Views.User

$user.Name ="UserName"

$user.Password = "Password"

$user.Role = $role.href

$user.IsEnabled = $true 

$org.ExtensionData.createUser($user)

The user is created using the vCloud Director, inside the required organization.

However, I have not yet found a way how to remove a user from the vCloud using the PowerCLI environment.

If anyone has any idea on how to do that, please do tell! :smileyconfused:

Thanks a lot in advance!

5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - I have moved your question to a more appropriate forum.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Moved to the vCloud Director PowerCLI community

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
tihiggins
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried the Remove-VICredentialStoreItem commandlet?  I don't know if that works for vCloud Director or not, but it looks appropriate.

Usage found at:  vSphere Documentation Center

0 Kudos
DigitalKatia
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thomas and thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, I don't think this is what I'm looking for, mainly for three reasons:

A. I'm creating a CI (as opposed to a VI) connection, using Connect-CIServer. So, most things of the VI world are not working for me

B. I tried to remove a user using Remove-VICredentialStoreItem: I provided a Username and the IP of the CIServer as the Host. Although the cmdlet ran with no problems, the user is still there..

C. Although, when running "Get-CIUser" I get all the registered users along with the one I created (and cannot update or delete), the Get-VICredentialStoreItem cmdlet returns nothing. So, I guess I have no VICredentialStoreItems to begin with...

There must be another way.. But I have not yet found one.. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
bdmpastx
Contributor
Contributor

I wrote some REST API calls from powershell to do this.

Here is the code I wrote, mind you I did not do any error checking. The Name has to match the "Name" in vcloud. Not to get confused with the name of the user in FullName.

**************Caution, This will remove the user from every org in vcloud.**************

$vcloud = connect-ciserver

$Headers = New-Object "System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary[[String],[String]]"

$Headers.Add('x-vcloud-authorization', $vcloud.sessionid)

$Headers.Add('accept','application/*+xml;version=31.0')

$Headers.Add('Content-Type','application/xml')

$UN = Read-Host "Please enter the User's Name from vCloud"

$users = get-ciuser -name $UN

foreach($user in $users){

$userhref = $user.href

[xml]$userxml = (Invoke-WebRequest -uri $userhref -Method get -Headers $headers).content

$takeownershiphref = $userxml.User.Link|where{$_.rel -eq "takeownership"}

$tkowner = Invoke-WebRequest -uri $takeownershiphref.href -Method post -Headers $headers

$removeuser = Invoke-WebRequest -uri $userhref -Method delete -Headers $headers}

If you want to do a specific org use this code:

$vcloud = connect-ciserver

$Headers = New-Object "System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary[[String],[String]]"

$Headers.Add('x-vcloud-authorization', $vcloud.sessionid)

$Headers.Add('accept','application/*+xml;version=31.0')

$Headers.Add('Content-Type','application/xml')

$UN = Read-Host "Please enter the User's Name from vCloud"

$orgname = Read-Host "Please enter the Org Name from vCloud"

$org = get-org -name $orgname

$user = get-ciuser -name -org $org

$userhref = $user.href

[xml]$userxml = (Invoke-WebRequest -uri $userhref -Method get -Headers $headers).content

$takeownershiphref = $userxml.User.Link|where{$_.rel -eq "takeownership"}

$tkowner = Invoke-WebRequest -uri $takeownershiphref.href -Method post -Headers $headers

$removeuser = Invoke-WebRequest -uri $userhref -Method delete -Headers $headers

0 Kudos