VMware Cloud Community
CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Deleting CIVM from a CIvApp

Hi,

I would like to remove a specific CIVM from a CIvApp. The CIvApp is stopped and powered off. The following bit of code works but performance is inconsistent. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, sometimes it takes extremely long to do 1 VM (1min 15 seconds). Even with the PowerCLI XmlSerializers installed. It's more than like it's because I'm using Get-CIVM.

Works:

$civapp = "Test"

$civm = Get-CIVM -vApp $civapp -Name "VM1"

$civm.ExtensionData.Delete()

I've tried using Search-Cloud but it appears I can't do anything with the object once I found it:

No ExtensionData property:

$civm2 = Search-Cloud -QueryType AdminVM -Filter "ContainerName==Test;Name==VM2"

I also thought about using Get-CIView and then using RecomposeVApp but I'm not sure what to pass that to delete a VM:

$civapp = "Test"

$ciview = "get-ciview -ID $civApp.Id"

$ciview.RecomposeVApp("VM2" ,deleteItem) //Not sure what to do here.

Or does anyone know of another method to delete CIVM's from a CIvApp via the SDK perhaps? Or maybe those mystical cloud views?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks to some anonymous employee at VMWare I have a solution. It came from an "Internal Thread" so I don't exactly know who you are...Never the less, get that man a bells.

Here is the code I received:

You need to pass $null to all except the deleteItem parameter. Because the overload of RecomposeVApp that you use has too many parameters, I prefer the overload RecomposeVApp_Task(RecomposeVAppParams recomposeVAppParams). The deleteitem should be an array of Reference which has the Href pointing to the VM to be deleted. Here is a sample script:

$ciVappName = "vApp_administrator_1"

$vmsToDeleteNames = "vm2", "vm3"

$civApp = Get-CIVApp $ciVappName

$vmsToDelete = Get-CIVM -VApp $civApp | ? { $vmsToDeleteNames -contains $_.Name }

$refsToVmsToDelete = $vmsToDelete | % {

$ref = New-Object VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud.Views.Reference

$ref.Href = $_.Href

$ref

}

$recomposeParams = New-Object VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud.Views.RecomposeVAppParams

$recomposeParams.DeleteItem = $refsToVmsToDelete

$task = $civApp.ExtensionData.RecomposeVApp_Task($recomposeParams)

# Note that if you need to edit multiple vapps, you can start the tasks for all vapps

# and wait for the tasks at the end.

$task.Wait()

Thanks who ever you are Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks to some anonymous employee at VMWare I have a solution. It came from an "Internal Thread" so I don't exactly know who you are...Never the less, get that man a bells.

Here is the code I received:

You need to pass $null to all except the deleteItem parameter. Because the overload of RecomposeVApp that you use has too many parameters, I prefer the overload RecomposeVApp_Task(RecomposeVAppParams recomposeVAppParams). The deleteitem should be an array of Reference which has the Href pointing to the VM to be deleted. Here is a sample script:

$ciVappName = "vApp_administrator_1"

$vmsToDeleteNames = "vm2", "vm3"

$civApp = Get-CIVApp $ciVappName

$vmsToDelete = Get-CIVM -VApp $civApp | ? { $vmsToDeleteNames -contains $_.Name }

$refsToVmsToDelete = $vmsToDelete | % {

$ref = New-Object VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud.Views.Reference

$ref.Href = $_.Href

$ref

}

$recomposeParams = New-Object VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud.Views.RecomposeVAppParams

$recomposeParams.DeleteItem = $refsToVmsToDelete

$task = $civApp.ExtensionData.RecomposeVApp_Task($recomposeParams)

# Note that if you need to edit multiple vapps, you can start the tasks for all vapps

# and wait for the tasks at the end.

$task.Wait()

Thanks who ever you are Smiley Happy

0 Kudos