VMware Cloud Community
pinas
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server/ Heartbeat Licensing

Hello,

Need help in vCenter Server/ Heartbeat Licensing.

If I have to install vCenter Heartbeat. Do I need to purchase two instance of vCenter Server and vCenter Heartbeat licenses?

Please advice. Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, you will need to purchase a license for the second instance of vCenter for the secondary. This is documented in the "How To Buy" section of VMware Heartbeat - http://www.vmware.com/products/vcenter-server-heartbeat/buy.html

0 Kudos
pinas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks lamw for the reply.

I have seen the document before, just confused about licensing the product. So, I have to purchased

2x vCenter Server Standard Licenses

2x vCenter Server Heartbeat Licenses

Please advice. Thanks.

0 Kudos
vJustinKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

for each version of vCenter server being protected with heartbeat you will need:

1x vCenter license

1x vCenter Heartbeat license

1x SQL server license

2x Operating System licenses (4x if protecting separate SQL server)

no other licensing is required

Justin Justin King – Sr Technical Marketing Manager vCenter Server: Virtualization and Cloud Platform
0 Kudos
Topsnt
Contributor
Contributor

We use an Oracle database on a tertiary server...  Will Heartbeat work with that configuration?

Thanks for any help...  'Alan

401-874-5553 (v)

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

thanks , but i am so confused if i run vcenter heartbeat (one vcenter heartbeat on primary vcenter and other vcener heartbeat on secondary vcenter) now do i have to buy 2 license for vcenter heartbeat or one license is enough ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

??????

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You need ONE vCenter Server Heartbeat license per vCenter pair (primary and secondary)

0 Kudos