VMware Cloud Community
rh5592
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter Heartbeat Failover duration

How long does it usually take to failover from primary to secondary vCenter server? I just did a vCenter Heartbeat 6.6 on vSphere 5.5 implementation (vCenter and SQL on the same server, both are protected by Heartbeat) and during my failover test, it is taking around 20-30 minutes to do a complete failover. vCenter Server is a VM with 4vCPU and 16GB of RAM. The environment consists of 80 ESXi hosts and around 700+ VMs

Is there any fine tuning that can be done to decrease failover time?

Regards. ================================================= "If found useful, kindly mark answers Correct or Helpful " http://rh5592.com =================================================
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The time of the failover depends on the time needed by the vCenter services to start.

The minimum memory requirements for vCenter 5.5 is 10 GB for a Simple Install without the DB on the same server. Check how much time does the starting of the vCenter Service takes without vCSHB.

RAF777
Contributor
Contributor

I have similar performance issue (HB 6.6 and vcenter 5.1), and from my observation I can say its due to services on passive node which are trying to start, even all of them are configured on failover tab to take no action. I dont know why is that happening, still trying to find a solution. After they time out, failover i finished successfully.

0 Kudos