VMware Cloud Community
pan1268
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Heartbeat 6.5 installation

Hi,

I am installing vCenter heartbeat 6.5 in  test lab on vCenter server locally; few things I could not understand are :

1) It asks for additional management IP adrress ; while reading the documentation i thought of using the same IP as vCenter server Public IP but it seems the installation requires diffrent IP address mapped to the same public NIC else installation does not proceed. Not sure why this needed.

2) It asks to rename the Primary and Secondary server names(at the end when installation completes on Primary server) ; not sure why this is required. What will hapen if i keep the same name as vcenter server. And, if I change the name not sure how will vCenter behave after rename.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1)You need two additional IP addresses, one for each server. This are needed so that you can manage the servers. The Public IP is only on the active server.

2) vCSHB is multi-id. Each Server has its own ID, different from the vCenter server.

pan1268
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi dmi,

Many thanks for answering. It is very helpful.

Just wanted to clarify if we change the vCenter server name doesn't the ESX hosts disconnects from vCenter server. (pleae excuse me if  I sound stupid asking this).

Once againn thanks for you reply.

Cheers

0 Kudos
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No. In the DNS server you will still have the public Service name (and the public IP) and the ESX will be able to connect.

pan1268
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi dmi,

I just came across another doubt on page number 14 of Installation guide; there is a point which says :

Configure Management IP addresses on the Principal (Public) NIC on both the Primary and Secondary

servers.

Does this point means that we need to give same IP address to the both primary and scondary servers.

Presently, to start installing heartbeat we have configured it like this

Primary server

Public NIC - A.x.x.x and B.x.x.x

Private NIC - some private IP address w/o gateway

Secondary server

Public NIC - C.x.x.x and D.x.x.x

vCenter Management IP address : A.x.x.x

Please advice

Cheers

0 Kudos
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What type of install are you doing? Is the secondary server physical or virtual?

The point you highlighted says that you will need to configure a Management IP on each of the servers, i.e:

Primary server
Public NIC - A.x.x.x and B.x.x.x
Secondary server
Public NIC - A.x.x.x and C.x.x.x

where  B.x.x.x and C.x.x.x are the management IP addresses.

The Public IP (A.x.x.x) will be removed from the Public NIC of the Secondary when vCSHB starts.

0 Kudos
JackyWoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Dmi,

Any workaround for this? (renaming server) because my primary server has already joined to a domain.

0 Kudos
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Jacky, you can rename the server manualy.

0 Kudos