VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

vCSHB in DR mode - a few questions.

Hi

I am contemplating making use of vCSHB. In theory, it seems easier to do a LAN implementation but I question the true value of it
as I will have both instances in the same (physical) datacenter. They would be on different clusters though.
I have access to another datacenter on the same site but they don't have stretched vlan. Changes to networking appear not to be feasible.

I was wondering if there are any good instructions on how to set vCSHB up over a WAN. There are some good videos available but they all deal with LAN mode.

Looking, at the "install windows 2008 virtual guide" it seems to me that there is no need for for a management address (p 20/21) and just a channel and public address for each server when deploying in WAN mode.

However when you look at the multi-nic and single nic configuration on p23/24 you see referrals to public, management and channel so am somewhat confused.

Can someone confirm whether not needing a management IP is correct? I can do single NIC or multi-nic but I may have to run public and channel over same subnet. Not best practice I know.

As if vCSHB is not complicated enough I have all my services distributed and make use of BIND

Any clues are much appreciated 🙂

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You need management IP addresses also for WAN installs. If you have multiple NICs on the server, I suggest using those so that you do not have a single point of failure (one NIC).