VMware Cloud Community
hawkeye95
Contributor
Contributor

VCHB 6.5: IP address behavior for Passive node

After installing VCHB 6.5, i see that that both the Active and Passive VCHB nodes have the 'Public\virtual' shared vCenter IP listed as their IP address. Is this normal? it seems like in previous versions of VCHB, only the Active VCHB node displayed the Public IP as its own IP. Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Only the active Server should have the public IP. The IP is added to the NIC when the server becomes active.

0 Kudos
hawkeye95
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up openign a support case. From the support engineer--

"Hello Jason,

Its normal. It is there in passive but controlled by Packet filter drivers.

Let me know if you need anything else."

0 Kudos
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The answer you got is incorrect.

You can check this using ipconfig on a server that is passive (the Public IP is not there) and then make the server active and issue ipconfig again.

0 Kudos
hawkeye95
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, ipconfig on the Active server lists Public IP and Management IP, while ipconfig on Passive server list only its Management IP.

My confusion in this matter was due to the fact that the Passive server's TCP\IP properties main page (General tab) displays the Public IP, but apprently the packet filter driver supresses that.

(note that clicking Advanced, IP Settings tab on the Passive server lists both the Public IP and the server's Management IP).

0 Kudos
hawkeye95
Contributor
Contributor

If dmihaescu or anyone else has access to a VCHB 6.5 environment, i would be very interested to hear if you are seeing the same behavior.

0 Kudos
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can confirm that this is the case also on my servers. Although the IP is listed on the NIC menu, ipconfig does not show it.

hawkeye95
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for checking!

0 Kudos