VMware Cloud Community
tbone134
Contributor
Contributor

Heartbeat Public DNS A record disappears from DNS

Hi, I have just setup Heartbeat 6.3 Update 1.

It is setup as per recommendations with 2 public addresses for split brain avoidence.  I created a static dns entry for the public address that is shared by the 2 servers.  This static entry in DNS disappears after about 30 minutes. The other public addresses that are unique to both servers stay.

The setup is in a LAN environment and the 2 public addresses are on the same subnet.

I could not find anything mentioned in the documentation about this behaviour.  I can't think why heartbeat would need to do this?

Does this occur to anyone else using Heartbeat?

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
6 Replies
godra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

On the NIC's does the Register this connection's adrress in DNS is selected? if so unselect it, add the ip's again in the DNS and see if they are preserved.

cheers

0 Kudos
tbone134
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

DNS registration is not checked on both hosts for public and channel nics.  I've created a static entries in Windows DNS for the IP's and the management IP stays but the shared IP disappears after approx 30 min.

Thanks

0 Kudos
vJustinKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the public IP should have a static record in DNS and this is manually done. The management IPs should not be mapped to this record. If you need to resolve the management IP then provide another unique alias name, manually. As noted all adapters should not have dynamic resolution selected and if WINS is used this should not be updating DNS either otherwise you'll need to disable host NetBIOS as well

Justin Justin King – Sr Technical Marketing Manager vCenter Server: Virtualization and Cloud Platform
0 Kudos
tbone134
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I've deleted the management address in DNS and added the Public address manually and host netbios is disabled.  The record is still disappearing after approx 30 min.

0 Kudos
simonkf
Contributor
Contributor

mine is being removed every 60 minues. rebooting the primary node seems to help.

did you ever get a fix for this? i thought i was going mad until i read this.

0 Kudos
tbone134
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I never did get an answer and I've just left it as is.  I have noticed however that with the new version it doesn't use clones.

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos