VMware Cloud Community
Aristizabal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Heartbeat 6.5: Post installation tasks and Management IPs

Hello,

I just installed  vCenter Heartbeat 6.5 (Virtual to Virtual with the clone technique) and although it completed successfully I am a bit confised by the post installation tasks on the documentation:

"After installation of vCenter Server Heartbeat is complete, use Nslookup to verify configured name resolution.
Procedure
Verify that Nslookup resolves as shown below:
1 Verify that Nslookup resolves Service Name to Public IP
2 Verify that Nslookup resolves Primary Name to Primary Management IP
3 Verify that Nslookup resolves Secondary Name to Secondary Management IP"

I didn't choose to rename the primary node, so my computer FQDN is vc1.mydomain.com  and during the install the names for primary and secondary I entered were vc1 and vc1-hb respectively. So if I add a management IP to primary and secondary why do I need to be able to resolve them as stated on the post installation tasks? I really don't want to create another DNS record for vCenter and the management IP. If I just add the management IPs without a DNS record would I brake any functionality?

Also, is there a best practice for adding the management IPs to the primary and secondary nodes?, like different vNIC?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Regards,

Juan.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Juan,

You need to rename both servers. There is no option "not to rename the Primary server".

You need to add a Management IP to each of the servers and to rename them and to add the corresponding records in the DNS so that vCSHB can protect your vCenter.

The Management IP is on the same NIC as the Public IP, the channel IP is recommended to be on a different vNIC that maps to a different NIC in the ESX, although it can also be on the same NIC with the public and management.

Aristizabal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

Is then the service name the same computer name on a Windows 2008 R2 installation?

0 Kudos
dmihaescu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The service name is the name the computer had before installing vCSHB

Aristizabal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I have vCSHB working now. The mayor issue I had was that the name of the servers was more than 15 characters long  and that created issues on the authentication with active directory.

0 Kudos