VMware Cloud Community
QVM2008
Contributor
Contributor

Error on VMware vCenter Server Heartbeat v6.4

I am getting the following error when connecting to the heartbeat server via the Manage Server Console:

Could not connect to host XXXXXX

Error unmarshaling return hearder; nexted exception is: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read time out.

When I am logged on to the Primary server,using Manage Server I can view the status information and all the other information just fine  but I am getting the error when the trying to connect to the Secondary server. From a replication standpoint everything looks good, the Primary is replicating to the Secondary (there is a green check mark).

When using the Manage Server from the Secondary server, I am getting the above error for the Primary and not the Secondary.

Has someone come across this issue before?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
QVM2008
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to resolve this issue by installing the VMware HB client on a Windows 7 machine. It seems like the VMware HB client does not work properly when installed on a Primary or a Secondary HB server that are running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

After carefully reviewing the VMware HB Adminitration guide, it looks like the console is not supported on a Windows 2008 Server R2 SP1. Per the guide,

"NOTE   You can install vCenter Server Heartbeat on a Windows XP and Windows Vista SP1 or later workstation to act as a client to the server Pair or Windows Server 2003. Run setup.exe from the setup CD folder on the workstation and select Install Client Tools under the installation set."

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Usman

0 Kudos