VMware Cloud Community
J_Wright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

when cloning a VM server in VC 2.5, Sysprep does not work

when cloning a vm server in VC 2.5, Sysprep does not work. I choose to customize using the wizard and it goes through all the steps, but when I power it up it comes up with the same name. It doesn't sysprep the server even though it walks me through the wizard.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

J

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

What type of guest are you cloning? Have you been able to run sysprep before?

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
Smitty23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you copied the sysprep files for your OS into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep on your Virtual Center server?

J_Wright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes the sysprep files are there and they are in the correct location. It is the srv2003 sysprep files

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Service packs make a difference as well. There are other threads complaining that SP1 works, but R2 sysprep has issues.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Did you place it in a workgroup outside the netbios name space of the domain?

Also did you sysprep it before hand?

Leave all the sysprep customization to the custom template sysprep calls.

As well do not set the administrator password in the base image.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
J_Wright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This server is already part of the domain. I am just trying to use the customization wizard as I clone it

0 Kudos
Spad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've found I often have to reboot the guest OS before VC's sysprep will kick in - sometimes it gets stuck at the logon screen and won't allow me to log on or shutdown, which means I have to do a hard reboot. Other times I'll boot up, log in and sysprep will run quite happily - although it never joins to the domain correctly, regardless of what happens, best I can tell it doesn't even attempt it.

0 Kudos