VMware Cloud Community
lockstar007
Contributor
Contributor

what happens to my VMs if i restart the vsphere web client on windows?

Hi Team

I recently upgrade my windows server and ever since cannot see my existing VMs and services.

I can login to the vsphere web client but the clusts and hosts pane takes forever to load and eventually

doesnt load at all.

I would like to restart the vsphere web client services on my windows server. will this affect my VMs?

hosts clusters no loading.JPG

7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Restarting the Web Client service won't have any effect on the VMs. You can try that, but it might be something else. Best thing? Upgrade (or just clean deploy) the vCSA so you never have to deal with this again. And, not to mention, Windows vCenter is dead as of now.

0 Kudos
lockstar007
Contributor
Contributor

How do i upgrade or clean deploy the vCSA?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you do a few searches, you will find countless articles out there for both workflows.

lockstar007
Contributor
Contributor

okay thanks for that. But that still does not answer my initial question. How about re-installing the vCenter Server?

Will that still affect my VMs.?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

"reinstalling the vCenter Server" is an entirely different question than "restarting the web client service" as they are completely different. While neither should interrupt running VMs, reinstalling vCenter Server has profound implications (maybe) whereas a service restart does not.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

VCSA6.7 Installation Guide

VCSA6.7 How to Upgrade

Overview to Migrate from windows-based to appliance-based

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
lockstar007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Team

I think i have figured out the issue that caused my vsphere web client not to load the hosts and or clusters.

This particulare vCenter did not have a permanent license. It was initially setup with an evaluation license.

After the license expired my hosts disconnected from the vCenter server.

Is anyone able to confirm that expired license for vCenter can cause disconnection and redundant operable

services on vCenter?

0 Kudos