VMware Cloud Community
GregM_X2O
Contributor
Contributor

what can cause a 503 error when accessing the vcenter Server appliance (v6.0).

Good afternoon,

I have been managing our company's vCenter Server Virtual Appliance (v6.0) and recently - in the last 3 weeks - I am unable to log into the servers main web portal using the configured administrator account.  I am able to see that the server is running via a vSphere Client to the ESXi host it is installed on, can SSH to it and can log in as the root user under the 5480 port.  I initially was seeing the login page but the user account would not login but now, after an initial restart of the appliance, I am receiving the following error :

503 Service Unavailable (Failed to connect to endpoint: [N7Vmacore4Http20NamedPipeServiceSpecE:0x7f20a006d060] _serverNamespace = / _isRedirect = false _pipeName =/var/run/vmware/vpxd-webserver-pipe)

I am unable to find any references to this specific error on the web although there are a number of posts regarding the 503 error pointing to primarily a database issue.

I have verified the available space on the drives and did a cleanup of the database to clean up any "bloated" tables but still receive the error.

Are there any other suggestions as to the cause and solution to this error?  Do I simply need to "bite the bullet" and re-install the vCenter Server?

Thank you, in advance, for any replies.

GregM

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Greg,

Firstly, would like to inform you that vCenter 6.0 is end of support.

Please check the status of services. SSH to vCenter and run following command:  service-control   --status

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are running anything like production workloads in this environment you should seriously consider an upgrade to at least vCenter Server 6.5 and ESXi 6.5 - your current version is no longer supported or updated.

But you need to get this issue resolved first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

this error might be caused by different issues.

What you may start with is to follow the two KB articles below to find out if there's something in the log files regarding e.g. the services, and whether the vCSA's certificates have not been expired.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2121043

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2111411

André

0 Kudos