VMware Cloud Community
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vpxa 100% of CPU0 on 2.5.3

Seasons Greetings!

We've had a minor case open with VMware support for 1 month now. We have a repeatable issue that can occur on any of our 2.5.3 hosts that are all managed with VC 2.01 (we're in the slow process of migrating our large farm to ESX 3.0x).

We started getting alerts from our monitoring software that console CPU resources we're at 100% and holding on random servers. The vpxa process which turns out to be the new VC agent was the culprit. Issuing a "service vmware-vpxa restart" will clear it up. We've found that the issue is generally repeatable through the process of vmotioning a guest OFF of a server whereby the sending server CPU0 goes to 100% and stays. VMotion TO a server will not affect the "receiving" server.

Anybody else seen this issue? Seems to be quite a few issues with VC2 managing prior versions of ESX.

VMware support has taken all the usual logs. I periodically ping them via email for status.. Over the last week or more I get no response from them. Is this typical for Platinum Support to not even provide you with status via an email request? I'd rather not have to get on the phone just to request status.

RAF

0 Kudos
7 Replies
e12pilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are seeing the same issue with VC2.0.1 managing ESX 2.5.4 (patch #1) hosts. It only seems to happen on one of the hosts, but will be opening an SR tomorrow with VMWare regarding this.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Cool.. well not for you but at least they may start to realize it is not an isolated problem. Let me know if you resolve it.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think VMware has punted on this one. Not high enough priority for them to put any developers on it. We know how to fix it with a service restart. I'll stop pestering them so they can fix some of the pressing problems with 3.x

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not really answered but I'm taking it off my radar to concentrate on 3.x.

0 Kudos
Malico
Contributor
Contributor

Was there ever any resolution to this from VMware? We are having the same issue and it is annoying to have to do service restarts when it occurs.

0 Kudos
Malico
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
esxfan
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem! Any solution for this problem?

esxfan

0 Kudos