VMware Cloud Community
chamsters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware vcenter server woes

hey guys,

i've just installed up vcenter server to centralize monitoring of my various vmware server installations. I basically have 4 machines i want to monitor - 3 all running the same debian installation and same latest version of vmware server (Free). the 4th is a windows 2003 machine running the latest vmware server too.

i installed vmware infrastracture without problems, no errors. istart it up, add a data center. add my first host - a linux host. works fine. i add a second host - another linux host.as i'm setting it up i get the correct host summary and it even lists the vms that are on the machine. it completes, says in progress for syncing up, and then i get the dreaded "host type is not supported , or was added to a cluster but does not support clustering features."

strange. am i adding it as a cluster? i don't think so... i add the windows machine and it adds without any issue. the one linux server that i did manage to add shows no information under the memory/cpu usage of the virtual machines, it's all 0. so is the performance graphs - no graphs.

what the heck is going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Interesting - from -

Can I manage VMware Server 2 release using an existing or new version of VMware vCenter Server?

No, VMware Server 2 cannot be managed by VMware vCenter Server 2.5. There are no centralized (multi-host) management options available for VMware

Server 2.

You are doing the impossible or maybe have found a hdden feature -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wazoo9000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are these hosts you are adding running vmware server? What version of everything are you using? (vmware server version, vcenter, etc.)

-------- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks.
0 Kudos
chamsters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware server version 2.0.0, 122956 on all servers

vcenter server Version 2.5.0 Update 3 | 119825

infrastracture client version 2.5.0

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First problem I see is you can not manage vmware server with virtual center 2.5 - Virtual Center 2.5 is used to manage ESX and ESxi servers only -

chamsters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

then why does it work on my vmware servers, 3 of them now independently?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Interesting - from -

Can I manage VMware Server 2 release using an existing or new version of VMware vCenter Server?

No, VMware Server 2 cannot be managed by VMware vCenter Server 2.5. There are no centralized (multi-host) management options available for VMware

Server 2.

You are doing the impossible or maybe have found a hdden feature -

0 Kudos
chamsters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA! that's pretty funny! not so much a hidden feature as i do have multiple monitoring hosts but it barely works for any of them - they add ok, but as mentioned before most of it is broken - it doesn't give me live cpu/memory usage, it doesn't draw performance graphs, i get errors adding alerts etc etc. for all practical purposes, it doesn't actually work.

thanks for answering my question Smiley Happy

0 Kudos