VMware Cloud Community
Phatpuckz
Contributor
Contributor

vmware vcenter 4.0 question

Anybody know where I can get a trial version of 4.0 vcenter?? I can't find it anywhere since 4.1 came out. I have everything else setup but need the 32 bit capable vcenter for 32 bit version of windows 2003 server. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dammi
Contributor
Contributor

Just download version 4.3 of vCenter Converter, why should you user the older one ?

-> http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether this works. However you can try this link and enter your credentials which you used to register for the 4.1 trial.

Just in case: If you want to run ESX(i) 4.1 you cannot add those hosts to a vCenter 4.0 installation. You'll need vCenter Server 4.1.

André

0 Kudos
dammi
Contributor
Contributor

Oops sorry, thought this was the vCenter Converter Discussion ^^

Ignore my first post! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Phatpuckz
Contributor
Contributor

So A.P., are you saying I can't install vCenter 4.0 on ESX 4.1? I did get a copy of 4.0 trial from and was going to try to install today.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

So A.P., are you saying I can't install vCenter 4.0 on ESX 4.1? I did get a copy of 4.0 trial from and was going to try to install today.

Not exactly. What I am saying is that you cannot manage ESX(i) 4.1 hosts with vCenter Server 4.0.

see http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf (page 3)

André

0 Kudos
Phatpuckz
Contributor
Contributor

ok, let me tell you my setup real quick and see if it will work. I'm setting up a test home lab. I have workstation 7 installed on my windows 7 machine. In workstation, I have ESX 4.1.0 installed. Now, when logged into ESX, I have 3 servers:

Windows 2003 (for AD)

Windows 2003 (for ViewConnection)

Windows 2003 (for vCenter)

Seems like I do have an issue installing vCenter, but I think that is a separate issue involving ADAM.

Anyway, all of my windows 2003 servers are 32 bit and seem to be running fine. domain is setup and all can see. So should I start over and install ESX 4.0???? Thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For you lab you have two options. You can either go with vCenter Server 4.0 and install ESX(i) 4.0 hosts. In this case you can setup the environment on ESX hosts with 32-bit Windows systems.

What I would do, is to go with ESX(i) 4.1 hosts and install a 64-bit Windows OS with vCenter Server 4.1 directly on VMware Workstation. This way you can test the current versions of vCenter Server, ESX(i) and View.

André

0 Kudos
Phatpuckz
Contributor
Contributor

I will try this and see if it will work....thanks for the help!

0 Kudos