VMware Cloud Community
vmhelp201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware-dataservice-sca status changed from yellow to green

Hello ,

Below  vCenter 6.0 U1 alarm frequently changing, any idea ?

alarm.VsphereClientHealthAlarm - Event: Status change (7582963) Summary: vsphere-client status changed from green to yellow Date: 9/21/2015 12:05:53 PM Arguments: componentId = vsphere-client componentName = vsphere-client newStatus = yellow oldStatus = green serviceId = vsphere-client

regards

Surya

Surya
74 Replies
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This looks like a fix to me ...... so far!

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
0 Kudos
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where you say "Value is Data Center name", does this actually mean the Datacenter you have created inside the vCenter instance?  If so then what happens if (like me) you have mulitple Datacenters in your vCenter instance?

Danny

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
0 Kudos
KennieGC
Contributor
Contributor

Dunno, guess you fill in one of the DC's (which you apparently did?)

I was just repeating VMware's response.

0 Kudos
DavideDeon
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem for me on vCenter appliance 6.0U2. Nothing of the previous solutions works..

0 Kudos
KennieGC
Contributor
Contributor

I've applied my solution above to multiple environments in the mean time and all were a success. Also this was an official VMware answer. Strange that this doesn't work for you.

I would suggest on creating a SR for it then.

0 Kudos
DavideDeon
Contributor
Contributor

Which solutions works for you?

0 Kudos
KennieGC
Contributor
Contributor

Ah I now see that I'm logged in with a different account Smiley Happy. See "VirtualKenneth's" post above.

0 Kudos
DavideDeon
Contributor
Contributor

Ah ok! :smileylaugh:

The solutions that you have indicated keep at bay the alarms, but in the event console I still see information like below. I'm not sure if are ok.....

error.JPG

0 Kudos
DavideDeon
Contributor
Contributor

At the end I've resolved the problem (I hope).

I think the problem comes out to the people (like me) who have configured 8GB of memory for the Vcenter appliance.

If I log into vcenter shell and digit "free -m" I see that used memory is near the total, and this cause the alarm.

I've increased the appliance VM memory to 16gb (maybe 10-12gb are enough)  and the error has not come out yet.

memory.JPG

ChrisHaag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just discovered this thread - best source of information so far...

I started with the latest idea and according to DavideeDeon increased the RAM. My first attempt was to increase from 8 to 10 GB.

Before upgrading to U1b the error would re-occur after several minutes to few hours after rebooting the vCSA.

With U1b the error would start 8 hours to 3 days after reboot, most times after 2 days.

With increased memory the error did not show up since 2 day. Too early for a statement...

I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos
RSMSysadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Seems to work for me!

0 Kudos
ChrisHaag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It did not for me.

After 3,5 days the error messages started bothering me again...

It seems that increasing the RAM just makes the time at bit longer until the error messages start again. Might be a formular like 1 GB = day.

Looks very much like a vCSA process having a memory leak. I could actually see the memory decreasing and count the days backwards.

0 Kudos
DavideDeon
Contributor
Contributor

Chris, can you post "free -m" result of your VCSA? (Maybe 10GB is not enough)

0 Kudos
ChrisHaag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have just set the memory back to 8 GB to try the "runtime settings" approach as described above.

After 15 minutes the errors came back.

The current situation is:

1) Running since 30 minutes

2) Errors present

"free -m" shows:

tmp.JPG

0 Kudos
DavideDeon
Contributor
Contributor

It would be interesting to view free -m on 10gb for Memory.

Probably your enviroment needs more than 10GB?

90% of 10GB are 9GB, if your memory usage increase up to 9GB the error still come out.

But it is only assumption.

0 Kudos
ChrisHaag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looked similar after 3 days. I guess memory gets eaten by a service and if would increase RAM to 12 GB, it would just give me some extra days - but not solve the issue.

We have 7 hosts managed by that vCSA and I  assume the factory memory setting would normally do in that tiny enivronment...

0 Kudos
DavideDeon
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you are right..

It is looking similar also for me. After 14-15 days with 16gb memory the error come out.

We must continue to find a solution...

0 Kudos
OSUBrian
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running a fresh install (not upgraded) vCenter Server 6.0 U2 Appliance, managing only 3 hosts, all running fresh installs of ESXi 6.0 U2 using the latest HPE Custom Image.  There are currently only 8 VMs spread across the 3 hosts and I'm getting this alarm about every 1 minute.  The vCenter server appliance is configured with 8GB of RAM which should be more than adequate to manage our tiny environment.  If I reboot the vCenter Appliance the error begins to show up again after about 5 minutes.

0 Kudos
UofMVSI
Contributor
Contributor

Going to throw my hat in the ring on this one.  Getting the error about every 6-8 minutes.  Due to failed testing of an upgrade with other components, we are unable to upgrade to the latest vSphere (something we're working with VMware on).  Currently on v6.0.

These two triggers almost always occur at the same time:

"vsphere-client status changed from green to yellow"

"vmware-dataservice-sca status changed from green to yellow"

We're using the non-Windows appliance.

0 Kudos
rothb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

seems to be a known issue and sadly there is no workaround yet.

VMware KB: In vCenter Server 6.0 the vmware-dataservice-sca and vsphere-client status change from gr...

Best regards,

Bjoern

0 Kudos