VMware Cloud Community
csteam
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-config-tools.pl overwrites my fstab

Every time there is a new kernel update, I need to run the vmware-config-tools to re-add the vmware tools for the new kernel, standard right, but every time I do this it over writes my /etc/fstab. We have lost nfs mounts, logical volumes, and it usually places them in a fstab.old file. This is quite the inconvenience, and I would like to know if there is any way to prevent this. With a kernel patch out tonight for RHEL5, I don't want to go back through 50 of our rhel vm's and re-do all of the fstab, its ridiculous! Help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
csteam
Contributor
Contributor

Any Suggestions?

0 Kudos
csteam
Contributor
Contributor

Currently I have a script that backs up the fstab and overwrites the new one when vmwaretools is installed, but I'd like to stop this if possible.

0 Kudos
js_opdebeeck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi;

Same error on some Linux SLES-SP1 and SP2 ... very bad ... vmware-config-tools do a 'backup' before the change /etc/fstab.old.x .

But I don't know why.

Js

0 Kudos
csteam
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't found a solution to this yet does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
HRZFHO
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here! Smiley Sad Seems to be a bug - a quite ugly one!

0 Kudos
csteam
Contributor
Contributor

It has been a bug for a while then, because it hasn't been fixed in any of the releases, I wish there was a way to turn off the hgfs on the vmware-tools re-config. I got around the issue with putting this into rc.local. It checks to see if the kernel has changed, runs the vmware config tools and then it copies a prestine fstab over the fubar'd fstab. Here ya go:

if [[ ! -e /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/.vmware_installed ]|http:// ! -e /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/.vmware_installed ]]; then

/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl --default

touch /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/.vmware_installed

cp /etc/fstab.backup /etc/fstab

mount -a

fi

I would still like to get a definitive answer about a way around this from the VMWare side though.

0 Kudos