VMware Cloud Community
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

virtualcenter server service doesn't startautomatically

Hey!

I have a VMWare virtualcenter service who's install on a physical W2K3 sp2 server.Before today, when Windows start the service was starting auomaticaly in the same time as windows but since today, the service doesn't start automatically just start manually.

the event viewer tell me :

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down....

how can I fixed it please !

Thanks in advance Mr Baba

0 Kudos
10 Replies
contra422
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's interesting, I take it starts normally when you manually start the service? Is it configured to run as a system account?

Any clues to the initial failure might be found in these logs;

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

0 Kudos
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks to answering me!

Yes, when i start manually the service, it works normally, it just whant not to start whis windows.

I've tried to repair with the cd it's still the same.

for the logs, VC is configure to use system logs and before today all works fine. just now, it wouldn't start automatically.

0 Kudos
contra422
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there really nothing in those log files? Can you double-check?

Where is your database, is it on a seperate server?

Can you manually stop and restart the service after windows has fully booted without any problems? Has anything at all changed, installed, patched upgraded on this server recently - check event logs for msi or patching activity.

0 Kudos
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The database is on the same server and i can manually stop, start or restart without any problem the service after windows fully booted

i don't see any problem on the log files but i'm not sure.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Maybe its because the VC tries to start before the SQL is up and running... ?

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/virtualization-pro/making-virtualcenter-depend-on-ms-sql/

Ohh.. if using SQL Express the service name is MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM and not MSSQLSERVER or SQLSERVERAGENT as mentioned in the article..

/Rubeck

contra422
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rubeck is probably right in the fix, I was interested in finding the cause before doing the suggested fix. Just for more fun here's the Microsoft KB in relation to services startup.

MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for you two i'm stiil looking on my problem i don't understand why i'm gona follow rubeck's idea i tell you if it's works.

0 Kudos
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hey i've do you're maipulation!

good news i have less problem in my log files after

bad news virtual center server still doesn't start automatically! i've created the starting dépendance with all my sql base and it still the same

i think maybe the problem cames from my sql bases. i'm looking for this i tell you

if someone got an idea i'm in ^^

cdt Mr Baba

0 Kudos
ESXDevil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I had the same issue with this service. Every time i've started the VirtualCenter Server i had a message that one service coudn't start.

Your idea with the dependencies was the right solution. Thanks a lot!

Regards

0 Kudos
MrBaba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hey it's me again !

Problem resolved !!!

The problem was not that virtual center try to start before the msql bases !! so i've take the problem in the other side, maybe he was atempting too long some dependences so i've destroyed all VC server dependance and it works ^^

so thank you rubeck you put me on a very good way ^^

bye all :smileysilly:

0 Kudos