VMware Cloud Community
DAMahoney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

virtual machine inaccessible

Hello,

Hopefully somebody out there can help.  Our UPS decided to stop working and our stack of switches lost power during a backup of one of our virtual machines.  The host lost access to the SAN, after fixing my power problem everything came back fine except for one of my virtual machines, it is now greyed out and showing as inaccessible.  I am able to remote desktop the machine and it is working fine, it is a file server and no complaints from end users but I can't do anything with it on the vmware side.  I have rebooted the virtual machine, and also rebooted the virtual center server, no changes.  I can't reboot the host that it is running on because I cannot vmotion it off of the host because vmware says it is inaccessible. 

I am running ESX 4.0, current on my patches. 

Thanks for the help,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

on the host in which this vm is showing as inaccessible, issue the following commands, which will have no impact on your other Hosts or guests

service vmware-vpxa restart

and then if that doesn't fix it

service mgmt-vmware restart

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

on the host in which this vm is showing as inaccessible, issue the following commands, which will have no impact on your other Hosts or guests

service vmware-vpxa restart

and then if that doesn't fix it

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you see all files for this VM in the datastore browser?

Can you download the vmx file and does it look ok?

Please attach a screenshot showing all files with full names, extension, sizes and time stamps.

André

GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

Restart the VC server service. It will definitely helps you to get rid of this problem. Check the below post:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1094365;jsessionid=537D504CB93C9D118E6B10BFA869B814untitled.JPG

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
gekko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you try to "remove from inventory" and the re-add it?

If you login to the ESX server with the vSphere client, is the VM showing as inaccessable?

Regards

Kenth

0 Kudos