VMware Cloud Community
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

virtual disk in eagerzeroedthick format for Clustering

I am trying to setup microsoft clustering on 2 virtual machines acrosss 2 ESX boxes. I am using ESX 3.5 and virtual centre 2.5 I am following the documentation from the vmware site. I have reached the stage where I am creating my first node but in the doc it is saying that the virtual disk you are using for the 1st node should be in eagerzeroedthick format. Is this correct, do I need to do this for clustering. Also if I do it says I need to use vmkfstools. DO you know the exact command I need in service console to create the virtual disk in eagerzeroedthick format

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wazoo9000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are correct, the command is vmkfstools, there is a switch to create the vmdk in 'thick' mode (like creating a lun to be cluster aware) however clustering using "thick" disks is only supported for "cluster in a box" configurations from my understanding. For clustering across hosts you need to use a LUN and a RDM for the shared volumes.

-------- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks.
0 Kudos