VMware Cloud Community
mumford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

viclient.log(s) are gigantic

I have just started noticing in the last week or so, that something was consuming a lot of space on my vCenter server. Upon investigation, I found it to be viclient.log(s) for certain users. The largest of the files were 25GB - 60GB, making them unreadable with Word or anything else I tried. I have searched, and am unable to find any reason for this, has this happened to anyone else?

Speaking with the users, the biggest offender has stated that he just recently started leaving his session to vCenter open, so I am guessing this is part of the reason, as the logs are not being rotated. However, 60GB still seems like an enormously large log file.

Thanks!

Ryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rogard
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sorry my bad, didnt realize you meant those logs.

Those logs are rotated everything the client is closed. I would delete them all (unless you need them) and ask the user to close viclient!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
rogard
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have a look at the "database retention policy" within vcenter settings

0 Kudos
mumford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

These settings are left at the defaults, unchecked. These have not been changed since install, my main question is why have the logs just started growing tremendously in size?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

viclient logs on the vCenter server? what directory are you looking in? i understand that the viclient stores it's logs on the computer which has the vSphere client installed, not on the vCenter server.

0 Kudos
mumford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

viclient logs on the vCenter server at C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx

The client is launched directly from the vCenter server.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would move this to the vSphere client thread... It's not a vCenter issue.

Not sure why the logs are growing for the vSphere client.

Bigger pitcture solution would obviously be to get these users off the vCenter server and get the client on their PCs.

0 Kudos
mumford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would move this to the vSphere client thread, yet I do not think there is one.

Or maybe I am mistaken?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yep, I looked and it appears vSphere is the closest thread.

0 Kudos
mumford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, VMware vSphere is not a "post-able" community, I think my discussion is currently in the most relevant community. That aside, has anyone else experienced this problem? Or, does anyone see any issues with setting limits on the size of these logs?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sorry my bad, didnt realize you meant those logs.

Those logs are rotated everything the client is closed. I would delete them all (unless you need them) and ask the user to close viclient!

0 Kudos
mumford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That answer works for me.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
skayser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Anyone aware of a vSphere Client command line switch to disable the massive client logging in the first place?

0 Kudos