VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vcsupport folder in AppData\Local\Temp

A 5GB vcsupport-12-28-2012-6-42 folder used all remaining disk space on our vCenter server. I found it in the User\AppData\Local\Temp folder(see attached image for location). The user in this case was the vCenter Service account. I'm trying to figure out if this is user generated or if it can be generated by the system by itself. Also, I'm used to seeing the completed bundles put on the desktop so, I'm wondering why these files would be here?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
randy16randy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am seeing the same sort of thing on my vCenter server, but without anything placed on the desktop.   Not a lot of disk space extra so hoping I could target this temp area as a place to recover and free some up.   What did you learn about this issue?

Thanks

-Randy-

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Been a while but if I recall, it was user generated. I was able to match the file times up with a user attempting to generate some support log bundles. I believe when you generate a log bundle (even from the client remotely), these temp files are created on the vCenter server during the process. When successfully created I suspect they are removed. If they are canceled or fail I think those temp files are not cleaned up. Providing they aren't needed for existing issue diagnosis, the "vcsupport-" files should be safe to delete from the temp folder.

0 Kudos
randy16randy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahhh!   Yes.  We did have exactly that going on.  The vCenter was running out of space so generating a log bundle failed.  I had cleaned up a bunch of other stuff in order to create the logs but didn't realize the old garbage was left behind.   Thanks!

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No problem. The system partition running out of disk space on vCenter was root cause for ours as well.

0 Kudos