VMware Cloud Community
jeddgo12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcsa shell

Hello VMware community

We had a short blip in our network wherein our vCenter HA has to go back n forth to Primary

Seems like everything is up and running now. But when I try to use shell to go into the VCSA. I get a 

> shell 

> shell, no command found

I did also do the shell-set --enable true, but no luck on this

Is there another way I can check for health of the VCSA?? The VCSA shows everything ok, but I am not able to run the shell command

Thanks everyone

[Unnecessary “spoiler” removed by moderator]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @jeddgo12,

Basically the root user has the super administrator role and by default it uses the Bash Shell. What you want to do is to connect over the Appliance Shell for running those commands you mentioned.

Follow the next KB to switch from BASH Shell to Appliance Shell: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2100508

Remember that you can also use whatever user you put in the group mentioned in my first reponse and by default it will have the Appliance Shell configured.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @jeddgo12,

You can check the health from the vCenter VAMI on port 5480 and there you will find the health of the services. And for logging into vCenter Server you can use the VMRC to connect from an ESXi or vCenter HTML5 Client itself.

If you are still not able to login to can apply the permissions to login using Bash to a vsphere.local user or an Active Directory user by adding them into the group SystemConfiguration.BashShellAdministrators.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you please share a screenshot?

Else, if possible can you log in to the VMRC of the VCSA and try logging from there?

0 Kudos
jeddgo12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all

attached screenshot of my vcsa shell

so the goal is for me to get to the part where I can execute cli - e.g. - software-utility, etc....

I think I am missing something, obviously Jedd (DUHHH) :-). 

REally appreciate all the help

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
jeddgo12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Sorry for being dumb on this

I am following - https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vcenter.upgrade.doc/GUID-5FCA78EC-8637-43A4...

HOw do I get to the software-packages utility? Hope this makes more sense now?

Thanks again for your time

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @jeddgo12,

Basically the root user has the super administrator role and by default it uses the Bash Shell. What you want to do is to connect over the Appliance Shell for running those commands you mentioned.

Follow the next KB to switch from BASH Shell to Appliance Shell: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2100508

Remember that you can also use whatever user you put in the group mentioned in my first reponse and by default it will have the Appliance Shell configured.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Basically, you can run those commands as you are logged in right now.

0 Kudos