VMware Cloud Community
Earl3000
Contributor
Contributor

vcsa management gives alert that appliance is low on memory, but webclient shows other info

Hello,

i am no expert, so excuse.

Yesterday, i did a fresh install of vcsa with newest aviable iso 6.7U2a (Name: VMware-VCSA-all-6.7.0-13643870.iso , Release-Datum: 2019-05-14, Build-Nummer: 13643870), using tiny installation

on a HP proliant ML110 Gen10 with esxi 6.7 (completely patched up to date).

I used tiny instalaltion (10 gb RAM).

Directly after deployment, i opened the vm appliance management site (port 5480) and checked everything. Summary --> Health Status was all green. Then, still in management site, i searched for updates via URL and downloaded and installed  the found patch (date 2019-05-30), so now the appliance has version 6.7.0.3110 (Build Number 13843380).               

Then i first opened the vsphere web client and everything seemed to be ok. After creating datacenter, joining the windows domain, adding the esxi hosts to vcenter, etc, i reopned the appliance management site and saw that under Summary --> Health Status --> RAM i have following Alarm, that appliance is running low on memory and that i should add more meory to the aplliance. Monitor showed a usage of RAm of about 86%.

I went to web client again, and here it tells that vcenter is only using about 2,5GB of the 10 GB that were assigend during tiny installation.

What i did now (although i think this is useless) to reserve the whole 10gb to the vcenter RAM. But this does not change anything. At the Moment, management site tells RAm usage of 70% (low enough to not trigger Alarm in Health Status) an web client tells usage of 2,8 GB out of 10 GB.

What is going on here? Why do management and web client show totally different RAM usage?

I also have another issue:

in vcenter web client, i get a warning saying:

vsphere Health dedected new issues in your environment. Go to Monitor -> Monitor Health for a detailed description of the issues.

Is this triggreed because of the RAM Alarm in management? I dont have any warning, alerts, problems in webclient.

thank you for helping.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Earl3000
Contributor
Contributor

just to add:

with management site, i mean the VAMI. just learned how this site is called 🙂

0 Kudos
maxyardley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Old thread but there doesn't seem to be any others specifically related to this issue.

I am having the exact same problem on vSphere 7.X. Sometimes it will go below the 80% threshold and not trigger an alarm but usually sits around 75% in a tiny deployment with 12G allocated to the VCSA.

0 Kudos