I updated vcsa 6.5 to build 4944578 (released 2/2/2017) and the management interface was not working after the update. Poking around I found that the vami-lighttp service startup was failing. Looking further it was complaining it couldn't bind to an IPv6 address. hmmm... Further checking found there were complaints being spit out about the config file. So I checked /opt/vmware/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf and there was a duplicate entry for server.use-ipv6 = "disable", with the 2nd occurrence coming on the last line of the file. I commented this last line out and restarted the service. Bingo, it works.
Including here so anyone else that hits this problem can find my solution.
Thank you for this post. We had the same issue and this resolved our issue. I was on the phone with VMware support when we discovered this and implemented it. It should become a KB article now.
Thanks for sharing, but in my case, won't work.
My vCenter (6.5 Appliance) works good (with flash/html client), but I can't access "5480" management Interface. The page show as a initial config "Getting Started - vCenter Server Appliance", and a generic mensage "This appliance cannot be used or repaired because a failure was encountered. You need to deploy a new appliance."
I've checked cfg "/lighttpd.conf" and disabled "ipv6" option, without success.
This problems occorues when I add a second NIC to configure vCenter HA.
I'm having the exact same issue after upgrading to build 5973321 and I don't have HA setup. 2 VCSA on same PSC domain. PSC and other VCSA upgraded fine. Just this one has the issue. Runs fine, just no VAMI.
If the VCSA install/upgrade is successfully completed, you should not see this problem however there is a chance of issue due to a file as stated below
move this file /var/vmware/applmgmt/backupRestore-history.json (if available) file to /var/tmp/
PS: This will not work or is applicable to the failed installations or upgrades
I do sometimes have troubles doing the VCSA backup in the VAMI. My job then stops with an error, the VAMI does not respond properly and freezes and when I try to login again after a browser refresh, I have the issue also. It seems that the connection to the ftp does sometimes not work correctly, probably due to a firewall. However, copying the json file has helped everytime in my case. So great tip, thank you!