VMware Cloud Community
ndamico916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter server service crashing repeatedly after startup

Out of the blue our vcenter server started crashing. its been running on a windows 2012 server since inception. error message is below.  any suggestions would be most appreciated!

An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (58P02) - ERROR: could not create file "base/16384/25105_vm": File exists;
Error while executing the query" is returned when executing SQL statement "UPDATE VPX_VM SET DATACENTER_ID = ? , HOST_ID = ? , RESOURCE_GROUP_ID = ? , POWER_STATE = ? , DISABLED_SNAPSHOT = ? , FAILED_DMOTION = ? , IS_TEMPLATE = ? , AGENT_ID = ? , AGENT_CNX_STATE = ? , FILE_NAME = ? , LOCAL_FILE_NAME = ? , ESX_AGENT_VM_STATE = ? WHERE ID = ?"

I also get the below in windows:

Faulting application name: vpxd.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58af5dea
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.23141, time stamp: 0x5f30a4ed
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x000000000001897c
Faulting process id: 0x37cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6bcbdcdcb3f44
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vpxd\vpxd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 673de8b2-28b1-11eb-945a-000c2952f52c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ndamico916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the suggestions. i was able to figure it out. bitdefender installed an update that vcenter didn't like. once i removed it i was able to get the services to run.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@ndamico916 

Moderator: Please do not create duplicate threads on the same topic - you can edit your own comments to add more information.

Your other thread on this topic has been archived.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vcenter Version?

Make sure your embedded sql database is not full  

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vCenter Server version?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ndamico916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi, its vcenter 6.0.0

i did try the script to reset the inventory service as that was hanging, preventing everything else from starting. the inventory service still fails to start.

i didn't see any error stating the DB was full. how do i check that? when i researched the error it seemed most with full db's had something to that effect in the error message.

0 Kudos
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please refer the below link

Inventory Service fails to start in vCenter Server 6.x (2119422)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2113435

0 Kudos
ndamico916
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the suggestions. i was able to figure it out. bitdefender installed an update that vcenter didn't like. once i removed it i was able to get the services to run.

larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You should also plan to upgrade your vCenter soon and preferably to VCSA.

vCenter 6.0 reached it's general support end date just as the pandemic caused full lockdown in most countries.

End of General Support for vSphere 6.0 (66977)

Lars

0 Kudos