VMware Cloud Community
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter hangs when adding esxi host

When I add an esxi host in vcenter, it hangs when it gets to installing the vcenter agent at the bottom of the screen. Then my vi client will time out and say it lost the connection. Whats weird is my vcenter is just a vm sitting inside the physical esxi server I'm trying to add. My connection to both is high speed broadband as well. I don't get it since vcenter is IN the esxi server I'm trying to add, you would think the connection would be pretty quick. My vcenter vm is using windows xp pro 32bit.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you perform the add into vCenter you are logged into the local ESX and vCenter via the vSphere client? I don't think that would cause this problem, but if you are logged into both during the add, drop the vSphere client connection into the ESX and try the add again. Also, if you can post logs during the time of the failure:

ESX

/var/log/vmkwarning

/var/log/vmkernel

/var/log/messages

vCenter

vpxd log

Is this the only ESX add that causes the issue? Can you VMotion the vCenter server to another ESX and try to add the problem ESX again?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After doing some more tests, I've found that my esxi server isn't hanging, it's my vcenter vm. About 10 seconds into the adding process, all network communication from/to that vm stops. Can't ping out, can't ping it from an outside source. Then it comes back and the network hangs and then it times out.

Could it be because I'm logged in through the vic on both systems, one vic to my esxi box and one to vcenter on my vm.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you perform the add into vCenter you are logged into the local ESX and vCenter via the vSphere client? I don't think that would cause this problem, but if you are logged into both during the add, drop the vSphere client connection into the ESX and try the add again. Also, if you can post logs during the time of the failure:

ESX

/var/log/vmkwarning

/var/log/vmkernel

/var/log/messages

vCenter

vpxd log

Is this the only ESX add that causes the issue? Can you VMotion the vCenter server to another ESX and try to add the problem ESX again?

0 Kudos
dirtdevil01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nevermind. I'm a dummy. The network issues where due to my esxi server, not vcenter. I figured it was an update issue so I tried running the update manager and it hung. I rebooted my esxi server and there where 20 updates waiting for me. I updated the box, rebooted and everything works great. Thanks for at least being the one person that cared about my issue.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

NP. Glad you got it working.

0 Kudos