VMware Cloud Community
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vcenter applicance lose connectivity

Dear All,

In my lab environment with only one host (ESXi 6.5) I recently changed my Vcenter installation from Windows standalone to Vcenter appliance 6.5. This VC appliance is installed on the same host. I see - when logged in to vcenter web - from time to time that all VMs shows as disconnected. It usually takes a few minutes and after that everything is fine. Usually this would indicate that the Vcenter applicance could not ping the host. But when this happen I log in to Vcenter appliance using putty and I can ping the host. It appears everyhing is reachable by pinging.

Any idea what this could be? It's not a big deal, but I'm curious.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aleex42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IP conflict or ping loss?

Are all hypervisors and vCenter Servers in the same subnet?

-- Alex (VMware VCAP-DCV, NetApp NCIE, LPIC 2)
0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks there is no IP conflict and everything is on the same subnet. When I see in Vcenter that the host is disconnected and all my VMs I'm able to ping vcenter appliance and host from a workstation.

0 Kudos
aleex42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anything in the logs and/or "Events" and "Alarms" tabs?

0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks - This time I found the problem, but not sure it is resolved forever.

After I saw your reply. I logged in to Vcenter and the host showed disconnected again. I ssh into vcenter and ping the host. no reply. However I could ping the host from my workstation which is on the same subnet. I restarted then the management network on the host and after that i was able to ping the host from vcenter ssh. Vcenter webclient showed my host online.

However after a few minutes suddenly my host was disconnected again and I couldn't ping the host from ssh vcenter. My workstation pinged the host just fine. I ended up to restart the management network again and now it works.

I think there is a problem with the management network. Are there some settings I could improve things?

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
aleex42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As asked before: have a look at Task/Events and Logfile of the hypervisor (vmkernel.log).

Maybe you can find anything there Smiley Happy

0 Kudos