VMware Cloud Community
Virtualizeit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter 4.0 update 1 support 64 bit

Does the vCetner 4.0 update 1 support 64 bit and is the bundle sql database 64 bit

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what are the limitations? I have read that it supports small deployments up to 5 hosts and 50 VMs. I am using it for testing but if it works would like to deploy it unless there are limitations. My env will have 4 hosts and 9 VMs so do you think this is workable?

yes, very workable....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does the vCetner 4.0 update 1 support 64 bit and is the bundle sql database 64 bit

YES

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure about SQL Express, I think it's still 32 bit.

The vCenter 4 Update 1 is not only supported on 64 bit OS, it is also recommended.

"...Future releases of VMware vCenter Server might not support installation on 32-bit Windows operating systems. VMware recommends installing vCenter Server on a 64-bit Windows operating system.::"

see: VMware vCenter Server 4.0 Update 1 Release Notes

André

0 Kudos
Virtualizeit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so if I install the vcenter 4.0 update 1 on a 64 bit windows 2003 server vcetner will be 64 bit but the sql express will not is that correct?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

correct... Since vCenter is 32bit the bundled SQL Express will be as well. However, this should not be used for a production environment as it has it's limitations.

0 Kudos
Virtualizeit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what are the limitations? I have read that it supports small deployments up to 5 hosts and 50 VMs. I am using it for testing but if it works would like to deploy it unless there are limitations. My env will have 4 hosts and 9 VMs so do you think this is workable?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, very workable....

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My env will have 4 hosts and 9 VMs so do you think this is workable?

Workable? Yes, but you have 4 hosts and 9 VM's NOW. Think small.. stay small. If you plan for the future and do it right the FIRST time, you will have much less to worry about later.

Virtualizeit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

there will be some that are larger that I will have to plan for but the small ones will always be small

0 Kudos
banana0830
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes

0 Kudos