VMware Cloud Community
glennjbrown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vc for esx and vc for server on same hardware?

Can we run both Virtual center server 2.x for ESX and virtual center server for VMware Server on the same server or do they need to be seperated?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dclark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't believ you can run the diferent Virtual Centres in the same Opeating system image. There are many duplicate modules which would could major headaches!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no VirtualCenter for VMware Server, do you mean VC 1.x? Never tried running both on the same server but I would definitely seperate them. You might consider running one or both as VM's. I currently run 2.x on a physical server and 1.x on a VM. You most likely will run into issues when trying to combine them on one server.

glennjbrown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually their is a virtual center for vmware server...

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/vc.html

but thanks for the advice on putting it on a vm.

Glenn

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is just VC 1.4, the old version of VC. It is not specifically for VMware Server it is also for ESX 2.x. The older version of VC supported GSX/Server, the new version VC 2.x does not. It is rumored that a future release of VC2 will also support Server.

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

esiebert, VC 1.4 is being marketed as "VirtualCenter for VMware Server", and sold at a seriously discounted price compared to VC 2.0.

0 Kudos
dclark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't believ you can run the diferent Virtual Centres in the same Opeating system image. There are many duplicate modules which would could major headaches!

0 Kudos