VMware Cloud Community
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vc 4.0 in same domain as sql server?

I am installing vc 4.0 but it is in a different windows domain than the remote sql database it will be attaching to. Is this an issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nope, SQL doesn't care. If you can reach the box from VC, there will be no problem.

You just can't use Windows Authentication, but you should SQL authentication anyway.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nope, SQL doesn't care. If you can reach the box from VC, there will be no problem.

You just can't use Windows Authentication, but you should SQL authentication anyway.

0 Kudos
tomtom1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is the reason to use SQL auth and not Windows auth ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the reason to use SQL auth and not Windows auth ?

Cross domain support for one, easier account maintenance for another. And I believe the VC setup guide suggest using a SQL account rather than Windows authentication as well. More security since you can ONLY administrate SQL not the Windows machine, no chance that a Windows account can blow up the server AND SQL.

It's MUCH easier to figure out authentication problems on SQL than involving domain membership and Windows local security issues. With Windows you have to contend with domain policy and other issues also.

So to elminate possible issues SQL authentication is better. However I do setup mixed mode, so I maintain the server with Windows, and VI has it's own authentication separately.

0 Kudos