vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  vSwitch Policy Question

Posted May 09, 2013 01:01 PM
      |   view attached

I need to vMotion all the guests off of 2 hosts to reboot the hosts, but get a compatibility message stating one of the network connections on the guests uses a different offload or security policy than the host being migrated to.

I can't power off and migrate these guests.  Is it safe to edit the vswitch and change the Nic Teaming network fail over protection from beacon probing to link status only.  I realize the change will also have to be made to the other hosts in the cluster.  Can I make the change to "link status only" without causing any issues to running guests ?  vCenter is version 5, hosts are ESX 4.0 U2.  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: vSwitch Policy Question
    Best Answer

Posted May 09, 2013 02:16 PM

Yes you should be able to make that change with no issues

• 3.  RE: vSwitch Policy Question

Posted May 22, 2013 06:58 PM

I changed the NIC teaming policy from "beacon" to "link status" without any interruption to guests or applications.   Guest migrations still fail because the security policy for promiscuous mode is set to accept.  Not sure why, possibly to troubleshoot some network connection issue long ago.  All other hosts outside this cluster are configured to reject promiscuous traffic.  There are no VLANs defined on the vSwitch side.  Would I be able to safely change the promiscuous configuration to reject without entering maintenance mode or disabling the vmnics ?  Thanks.