VMware Cloud Community
AlexanderMiroch
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere web access and creating VM

Hi,

I can't find how to create new VM or clone VM from existing template through vSphere web access.

I connect to virtual center (through www with full root role) and only thing i can do is "add virtual machine to inventory"

This machine is *.vmdk image and can't be used twice (or more times) as VM template.

Real solution is to use vSphere client, but it doesn't work on *nix systems and has other shortcomings

How to solve my problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Both clone and templates are features of vCenter not the ESX host - you will need to use the wbe access feature of vCenter to gain access those and login with a Windows account htat has the approriate permissions not root -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How about connecting to your vCenter server via RDP and using the vSphere Client on the server?

André

AlexanderMiroch
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure I undestand you. I'm trying to login with windows account, (named root) that has appropriate permissions (all permissions). I'm trying with this url https://1.1.1.1/ui. This is the address of my virtual center, not ESX host. But is doesn't allow to create or clone VM.

0 Kudos
AlexanderMiroch
Contributor
Contributor

Nice, thanks. I think i can use RDP if I can't find anything else

0 Kudos
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Try to login to your Vcenter installed system via RDP and then open the vsphere client to access your Vcenter, now you can able to create VM’s from the existing templates and clone the VM’s.

Best regards,

Rajasekar

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"
0 Kudos