VMware Cloud Community
rameuniver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere up to 3 hosts (Per Instance) ?

What is mean by instance  in "vSphere up to 3 hosts (Per Instance)"?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi,

You found this from vCenter Foundation license?

Per instance = 1 vCenter server...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It would help with some context and where you found this but I would interpret is as you can manage up to 3 hosts per vCenter Server.

So for example if you have 4 sites with 3 hosts in each site you could have 4 vCenter Servers managing 3 host each.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

VMware VCenter Server: vCenter Server is licensed per instance. One instance is required in a vSphere deployment to enable centralized management and deployment of core vSphere features such as VMware vMotion, VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler, and more.

Source: http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/buy/overview.html

-GaneshNetworks-

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi,

You found this from vCenter Foundation license?

Per instance = 1 vCenter server...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rameuniver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now i got it, in this scenario if i want to use 6 hosts, i have to purchase two licenses, right ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No, to manage more than 3 hosts (with Standard, Enterprise or Enterprise Plus licenses) you would purchase (or upgrade to) a vCenter Server Standard license which supports up 1000 hosts per instance. Except you want to manage 2 environments with 3 hosts each. Another exception are the Essentials Kits, which are limited to 3 hosts.

André

0 Kudos