VMware Cloud Community
witchbutter303
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Web Client on OSX no mouse pointer issue

I have upgraded vCenter server to 5.5.0a which makes available client integration tools for OSX, which means that virtual consoles through vSphere web client are supposed to be supported on Mac.  In general the web client works very well, except that if I open a virtual console on a VM which does not have vmware tools installed, such as a fresh install, there is no mouse pointer.  After vmware tools installs and the server reboots (on a Windows Server) the mouse pointer becomes available.  Unfortunately it's often the reason I would go to the console that I need to install vmware tools or vmware tools quit working, which makes this a very annoying bug.  Anyone aware of a workaround?

My environment right now has only ESXi 5.1 hosts, with vCenter 5.5.  This occurs in both Firefox and Chrome on 10.8 and 10.9.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
packetboy
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same thing here.. Very annoying!!   Still having to do many things from the fat client im finding...  Smiley Sad

Did you end up finding a fix?

0 Kudos
edp4you
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue.
Very annoing.

0 Kudos
witchbutter303
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still using the web client daily and I will say at 10.9.2 it works the most consistently in Safari.  The mouse pointer bug is still not fixed and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if it was related to assisstive devices or plugin containers in firefox or chrome but nothing helped.  Fortunately I am now more often working with templates which roll out with vmware tools installed, as well as automated installers that install vmware tools as part of the deployment.  Once vmware tools is installed the web console is much smoother than using a console in an RDP session or using the fat client in a fusion VM.  Right now the only things I really do with the fat client are vsphere update manager and adding and removing hosts.  One thing I will add that is annoying about web client in general, is how often I will click on a VM and have the whole tree in the left pane refresh and be forced into a different view.  I seriously hope they update the web client plugins outside of the actual esxi releases.  I've checked a few times in update manager for patches but nothing so far.

0 Kudos
tbrumleve
Contributor
Contributor

The issue still happens 6 months after it started... I have stopped using the web client console altogether.  Why force us to use a client with a very obvious bug???  Come on, VMware... Please fix this!!!

0 Kudos
Josor
Contributor
Contributor

I am using vSpere client 5.0. I am trying to create a new VM for Windows 2012. Trying to install the Windows 2012 OS is a struggle because there is no mouse pointer visible or working. Is there any way to make the mouse work on the VM console? Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
LNU_Servicedesk
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
rock0n
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As a workaround you can use Fusion 7 Pro an connect to an ESXi or vCenter instance.

Once connected you got basic VM options and a console session where the mouse cursor is always available.

0 Kudos