VMware Cloud Community
Sundararajan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Standard Switch

Hi,

1). What is the maximum vSphere standard switch can be created on a host ?

2). Configuration maximum for = Total virtual network switch ports per host (VDS and VSS ports) - 4096

My understanding on the question no 2 is maximum port on a host is 4096 and per vSwitch we can create 4088.

I am adding two virtual switch on a host and each switch with 4088 port. My question is maximum port per host is 4096 so how i am able to add 2 switch with 4088.

3) what is the actual purpose of overhead or reserved port for virutual switch ? still confused after red the KB 1008040.

2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

ill try to answer in the Order of the Questions.

1). What is the maximum vSphere standard switch can be created on a host ?

Ans : you can create 127 virtual switches on a single ESXi . But again it depends on Number of port groups your creating , On one ESXi Host is going to be 4096 Max. So we can have multiple vSwitches but the total number of ports that add up can only be 4096.

Source : vSphere Documentation Center

2). Configuration maximum for = Total virtual network switch ports per host (VDS and VSS ports) - 4096

My understanding on the question no 2 is maximum port on a host is 4096 and per vSwitch we can create 4088.

I am adding two virtual switch on a host and each switch with 4088 port. My question is maximum port per host is 4096 so how i am able to add 2 switch with 4088.

Ans : you Cannot add two vSwitches with 4088, Only one can be created since you can have a Max of only 4096 ports on ESXi, Irrelevant of number of switches. so if your having one switch with 4088 ports, the second vSS cannot be created with more than 8 ports.

3) what is the actual purpose of overhead or reserved port for virutual switch ? still confused after red the KB 1008040.

Ans : I don't understand the question, Since the KB clearly states

To account for overheads such as physical NIC ports (uplinks), CDP traffic, and network discovery, ESX 3.x, ESX/ESXi3.5.x, and ESX/ESXi 4.x allocate and reserve an additional eight ports per virtual switch beyond what is available for virtual machine use.

Thanks,

Avinash

Sundararajan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Avinash for your quick response.

I am clear on the question no 1 but still having confusion with 2 and 3.

Qustion no : 2

I Have configured vSwitch 0 with 4088 ports which is the maximum.

vSwitch 0.JPG

But when try to configure the second virtual switch vSwitch 1, again i am able to add 4088 ports. I am aware that per switch we can configure 4088 max but i already configured vSwitch 0 with 4088 port and rebooted the host.

vSwitch 0.JPG

Qustion no 3:

* 8 reserved port can be utilized for VM ?  ( or ) 1 virutual switch is configured with 8 port which mean 16 while seeing esxcfg-vswitch -- list command, how many VM's we can configure on this switch ?

Please correct me if my question or understanding is wrong.

0 Kudos