VMware Cloud Community
Lowrez
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Essentials - How many of what

Sorry a bit confused but I have a quick question. For  vSphere Essentials the web site says:

VMware vSphere Essentials Kit provides an all-in-one solution for small offices to virtualize three physical servers for consolidating and managing applications to reduce hardware and operating costs with a low up front investment.

Does that mean I can only convert 3 actual servers to virtual servers on one ESXi host OR as many as I can fit on 3 ESXi hosts within the CPU/Core restrictions. Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks

-Mark

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Does that mean I can only convert 3 actual servers to virtual servers on one ESXi host OR as many as I can fit on 3 ESXi hosts within the CPU/Core restrictions.

It means you can have 3 ESXi hosts, and there would be no pre-determined limits (outside of the configuration maximums) on the number of VMs you could have.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

below is what you get with Essentials.  3 servers, meaning 3 ESX(i) hosts.

vSphere 4.x Essentials

Update Manager

Thin Provisioning

VirtualCenter Agent

4-way vSMP

vStorage APIs for Data Protection

ESXi or ESX 4.x

vCenter Server for Essentials (up to 3 servers)

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

With the Essentials (or Plus) kit you get  6 CPU licenses which you can use on 3 physical ESXi hosts.  Plus you get vCenter to manage up to 3 hosts. The CPUs in the hosts should not have more than 6 cores per slot.  You can run as many VMs as you can on the hosts.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook

offer

Now available -

VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available -

vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert

You can have upto three hosts and add as many VMs as per the host horsepower...

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-vSphere-4-Essentials-Editions-DS-EN.pdf

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
0 Kudos
Lowrez
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, this is really very nice and fits with what I would like to do. Thanks all for the almost instantaneous responses! I'm sure to jhave a few more questions tomorrow.

0 Kudos