VMware Cloud Community
dhchentw
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Data Protection not registered in Web Client

I deployed the vdp ova file to one ESXi host and finished configuration successfully. No error message. But I cannot see and vdp related plugins in web client, hence I'm unable to use vdp. Is there any problem with the deployment? I'm using SYSTEM-DOMAIN\admin in vdp SSO configuration and is sure SYSTEM-DOMAIN\admin has administratot rights in vcenter.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
virtualVulcan
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, I believe the user guide had me assign the new VDP specific user "Administrator" rights at the Datacenter or cluster level. It seems that it needs to be assigned at the vCenter level.

To fix the problem I did the following.

1. Login to vSphere web client
  2. Select "vCenter Home"
  3. Under "Inventory Lists", click vCenter Servers
  4. Select your vCenter Server by name, mine is "CAEDUS"
  5. Click the Manage tab
  6. Click permissions, NOTE: The VDP specific user should not be listed here, if it is, you are experiencing a different problem
  7. Click "Add permission"
  8. Click "Add" to choose your VDP specific user
  9. Find the user, highlight the user and click "Add", then "OK"
  10. Choose "Administrator" from the "Assigned Roles" column, ensure propagate to children is selected
  11. Click OK
  12. Not sure if this step is needed, but I did it anyway: Goto the VDP appliance configuration page and "reconnect" to the vCenter, I did this by changing the hostname to the IP address instead. VDP appliance insisted on rebooting, so I let it do so
  13. Wait for VDP appliance to reboot, load up and reset the services (takes between 5-10 minutes)
  14. Log out of vSphere Web Client, and log back in

Hopefully now your link will show.

0 Kudos
ecszone
Contributor
Contributor

what does vdp specific user even mean?  the default user is root.  my vcetner permissions already have a root that was created when vcenter was built.

They are different passwords. I just dont undertand how you add this permission? 

0 Kudos
virtualVulcan
Contributor
Contributor

"VDP Specific user" means adding a user to vSphere's authentication table that you would use specifically for VDP to connect with, this is per the VDP documentation for 5.1. You add the user through the vSphere Web Client, configuration section under SSO Users and Groups. You could also add the user to LDAP or Active Directory if those are tied into vSphere and SSO properly.

0 Kudos
ecszone
Contributor
Contributor

it was related to SSO.  I did not realize you had to do something through the vsphere web client. once i found that i got it working pretty quickly.  i was using the full client which did not have the ability to do this.

0 Kudos