VMware Cloud Community
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vSphere DRS VM Overrides

VMware VCSA 6.7 ESXI 6.7 U2

I have two vCenters with 4 ESXiI hosts on each. 

Have a Datacenter defined and a cluster defined

My VCSA is in HA mode

DRS is enabled.

My VM's move from one host to another using vmotion with no problem.  

I am using Nagios to monitor all my VM's and ESXI hosts etc.  I had a problem when a VM moves from one host to another Nagios did not know how to see that change It was looking for it to be on the host. So I then added my VM's to the DRS VM override .  Next I found a way for Nagios to check which vCenter the VM was on since in a cluster it does not matter which host it is on.

I tested by moving VMs manually using vmotion and Nagios still works all good now

So now I can remove the DRS VM overrides. 

So my question here is.

I have VCSA in HA mode which means I have a VCSA-Primary VCSA-passave and VCSA-Witness  they should be on separate Hosts in case of an outage.

I have found with DRS enabled my VCSA also migrate using vmotion and sometimes they all reside on the same Host

Is it best practice to let DRS move around the VCSA's?   Should I place the VCSA's in the DRS VM Override?

Thank you

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

select the clusterobject->configure->VM/Host rules, then click Add. name the rule with a logic name, select "separate virtual machines" as type and add the 3 vms. thats all

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

normally when you deploy VCHA its automatically creates an drs-rule to separate these 3 nodes so each of them runs on another host. if the rule is not there just create one.

best practice is that you have 3 locations - if you have only 2 locations and one location fails there can be problems with VCHA-Failover

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I believe I create the HA setup prior to DRS

DRS was added after so that may be the reason the rule was not created.

Rules are new to me never used them

Where can I define the rule  is there an example of what the rule should look like?

Thank you

Tom

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

select the clusterobject->configure->VM/Host rules, then click Add. name the rule with a logic name, select "separate virtual machines" as type and add the 3 vms. thats all

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

GOT IT

Thanks

0 Kudos