VMware Cloud Community
Razorhog
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client could not connect with the vCenter Server

I am getting this error when trying to connect to my vCenter Server, which is running on Windows Server 2008 SP2. "vSphere Client could not connect with the vCenter Server. Details: A connection failure occurred (Unable to connect to the remote server). I can ping the server. Telnet to port 443 gives "Could not open connection to the host, on port 443". Telnet to port 80 makes a connection, but trying the vCenter Server Web Access does not work (not sure if that is even set up by default).

The vSphere client log has the following error:

2009-07-20 11:06:35.781 Log for vSphere Client Launcher, pid=5936, version=4.0.0, build=build-162856, option=release
2009-07-20 11:06:49.078 Error retrieving clients.xml
System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server
Server stack trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
Exception rethrown at :
at VpxClient.Login.ClientsXmlLoader.TryDownloadAllPorts(Exception& activeError)
at VpxClient.Login.ClientsXmlLoader.Download(Object obj)
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 172.16.1.1:443
at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

The line that says "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" leads me to believe that the connection attempt is getting to the server but a configuration or something is not right. All of the appropriate firewall exceptions are in the windows firewall, and I've even tried turning it completely off.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you are running the vSphere Client on Windows7, see this thread, apparently there was a solution found

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/211440

0 Kudos
Razorhog
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm running the vSphere Client on XP Pro SP3.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

check this KB article

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003926

0 Kudos
Razorhog
Contributor
Contributor

That KB article says to make sure the vCenter Server service is running. It was not; however, I still cannot connect to the server after starting it. Maybe there is a port conflict...will report back with findings.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

also, make sure you don't have IIS installed/running.

0 Kudos
Razorhog
Contributor
Contributor

Doing a netstat -ban shows both vpxd.exe and dsamain.exe using port 443... would that cause a problem?

I don't see anything about IIS in the services panel, or anywhere else so I'm pretty sure that is not running.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I think there needs to be an exception added

See ESX and vCenter Server Installation Guide page 102

>Procedure

>1 Select Start > Run.

>2 Type firewall.cpl and click OK.

>3 Make sure that the firewall is set to allow exceptions.

>4 Click the Exceptions tab.

>5 Click Add Program.

>6 Add an exception for C:\Windows\ADAM\dsamain.exe and click OK.

>7 Click OK.

0 Kudos
Razorhog
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried with the windows firewall completely turned off and didn't get anywhere. Also, I have a standalone server and was under the impression that dsamain.exe was only needed for linked mode installations.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Also, I have a standalone server and was under the impression that dsamain.exe was only needed for linked mode installations.

I have a standalone vCenter Server (W2k3) and the dsamain.exe process is active. Wish i could be of more help, but our vSphere4 instance is in Dev/Test and I don't use it as often as I should.

0 Kudos
Razorhog
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I think I might have a routing problem with my VLANs or something. I can't connect to the vCenter server via the web access, or even through RDP. The only thing I can do is ping it.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Web Access in not enabled by default in vSphere4, you need to enable it.

Here's a good link

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/06/15/esx-4-0-web-access/

Razorhog
Contributor
Contributor

I started the Web Access service and it works great from the local machine, but not from my workstation. Thanks for the heads up!

0 Kudos
Razorhog
Contributor
Contributor

Turns out it was a static route issue with my Sonicwall.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

glad to see you got it resolved!

0 Kudos