VMware Cloud Community
fcait
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Center Server on Windows 2008 64 bit

Hello everyone, I am very new to the use of vSphere Center. I have installed vSphere Center Server on Windows 2008 X64 standard. It chose to install the SQL 2005 Express. I got through the AD setup portion and am working on the Database setup. It keeps giving me an error about needing to initialize the database, but I can browse and query the database just fine. So my first question is which database is it? I am assuming it is "VIM_VCDB" and here is the instance of the default install "SQLEXP_VIM" and here is the error I keep getting when trying to apply changes.

Error: Database connection successful. No schema found. Please initialize database.

The user I am using has dbo access and the default schema is showing up as dbo. I would appreciate any help on this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You must also assign db_owner permissions to the user you have specified for VIM_VCDB to the system database msdb.

0 Kudos
fcait
Contributor
Contributor

I have set the database role membership fo the database to db_owner and set the default Schema to dbo, where else do you set permisions on a database?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you need dbo on the MSDB and the VCDB

Make sure you use the SQL Native Client for ODBC

0 Kudos
Geoflex
Contributor
Contributor

you should crerate a 32 bit DSN insted of the native 64 DSN.

0 Kudos
FOSKingston
Contributor
Contributor

How do I create a 32 bit dsn rather than 64 bit?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Invoke odbcad32.exe from C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

Thanks.

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

0 Kudos