VMware Cloud Community
weslane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 5 Enterprise license with vCenter 5 Standard edition

Quick question guys

can i add a vSphere 5 enterprise (or even Plus) license to a couple of new hosts (especially need FT and DRS) in conjunction with vSphere standard licences already in use (and want to keep) under a vCenter 5 Standard edition?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't see an issue with running differently licensed hosts on a vCenter Server instance. Due to the different features you will need to place them in separate clusters though. Regarding the vRAM, from how I understand it vRAM is pooled by license type, so you will end up with two pools.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weslane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

also how will this affect vRAM pooling?  will it just add 64Gb or 96Gb per processor to the pool?  or downgrade it to the other standard 32Gb licenses i already have???

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't see an issue with running differently licensed hosts on a vCenter Server instance. Due to the different features you will need to place them in separate clusters though. Regarding the vRAM, from how I understand it vRAM is pooled by license type, so you will end up with two pools.

André

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hey,

just a quick note: vCenter Standard is already the biggest vCenter license available, so no need to to worry when adding vSphere Enterprise(+) licensed hosts.

The other questions were already answered by Andrè.

Regards

Tim

0 Kudos
weslane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Guys

Appreciate your help

Wes

0 Kudos