VMware Cloud Community
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5.0 web client on Firefox > 21.+ hangs during startup..

While officially these more secure and later versions of Firefox are "not supported" for the vSphere 5.0 web client, there are so many security holes in these older revs, that VMware really should step up the game here.

We started getting user reports who had upgraded to Firefox 23.x about severe startup delays.   Here's the info below on the PD submitted to VMware.  Case is open but doubtful on resolution beyond the "it's not supported answer.."

Looks like some version later than FF 21.0 is the culprit.  Something done to FF between 21.0 and 22.0 induces the 4 minute startup delay we are seeing with at least 3 versions of Adobe Flash per SR.   Presented with #1502 (timeout error I think).

When using IE9 w/ webclient,, we do NOT experience these "timeout / error" issues going to same vCS systems.

Windows 7 Pro

I've also disabled all plugins etc on FF and it has no impact.

FF versions: 23.0.0, 23.0.1

Adobe Flash version: 11.8.800.168, 11.8.800.94, 11.7.700.724

PD results..

Latest Chrome --> Works fine w/ webclient no 4 minute hangs..

IE 9 + Adobe Flash (last 3 versions) --> Works fine.

Firefox backleveling..

Firefox 20.0 --> Works, no hangs, login OK, works fine after login

Firefox 21.0 --> Works, no hangs, login OK, works fine after login

Firefox 22.0 --> has 4 minute startup hang  w/#1502 timeout error, then works OK after login

Firefox 23.0 --> has 4 minute startup hang w/ #1502 timeout error, then works OK after login

Options for now, see above:

To backlevel FF

1) Remove FF (add/remove)

2) Reboot

3) DL and install from this listing.. --> <http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/>

Cheers.  GC Mobley

Later, GC Mobley
Tags (2)
4 Replies
coafark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there any update for this?

FF 24 with Adobe Flash version: 11.8.800.168    doesn't work.

Also, just installed Chrome (29.0.1547.76 m) and loaded the main page but it complains about the the browser.

https://vCenterIP:9443/vsphere-client/#

Warning is

This browser is not supported.  Some features may not work or appear correctly.

0 Kudos
skywalkergcm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes and No.

VMware suggests in my SR below.  Obviously not helping 5.0 users considering all the security bugs reported and fixed in FF versions after 3.x .. for 5.0.     Upgrading to 5.1 or 5.5 is not an option for many due to the onerous SSO changes required.

vSphere 5.5 has been released which supports later browsers.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcenter-configuration-manager-55-installation-guide.pdf

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-55-install...

One option might be to upgrade to the  5.5 version.

Here's the official list of browsers supported in this (5.5) version.

vSphere Web Client Software Requirements

Make sure that your browser supports the vSphere Web Client.

VMware has tested and supports the following guest operating systems and browser versions for the

vSphere Web Client.

Table 2‑10.  Supported guest operating systems and browser versions for the vSphere Web Client .

Operating system Browser

Windows 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9 (64-bit only), and 10.

Mozilla Firefox: the latest browser version, and the one previous version at the time

the vSphere 5.5 is produced.

Google Chrome: the latest browser version, and the one previous version at the time

Mac OS Mozilla Firefox: the latest browser version, and the one previous version at the time

Google Chrome: the latest browser version, and the one previous version at the time

Later versions of these browsers are likely to work, but have not been tested.

The vSphere Web Client requires the Adobe Flash Player version 11.5.0 or later to be installed with the appropriate plug-in for your browser.

coafark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the fast update.    Hopefuly I can bounce a question of two off of you.

1)   It seems that they dropped our ability to connect from a Linux server/workstation??

The PDF file says this

The vSphere Web Client requires the Adobe Flash Player version 11.5.0 or later to be installed with the appropriate plug-in for your browser.

And per Adobe, for Linux 64 bit, the latest Flash via RPMs is 11.2

2)    We're currently 4.1 with only a very small 5.0 install base (both having their own vCenters etc).  We're going to upgrade our 5.0, but not sure to 5.1x or 5.5 (since its so new).  Is there a way for me to connect to 5.1 that you know of or only 5.5?   (5.5 going html5 so skipping the flash issue).

3)   The connection to https://VCENTERNAME:9443/vsphere-client/ is nice, but far from the full VIC client.   Has it matured thru 5.1 and 5.5 that much to warrant throwing away the VIC client?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
skywalkr
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, going from 4.x -> 5.x the linux guys got broken.

The functionality between c# and web is not 1:1 in 5.0+.   It has improved in 5.5 I was told.   I'm not running 5.1 so no info there.

One of our linux experts finally got his Fedora linux install + the 5.0+ web client working with our 5.0+ setups, so it is possible but not supported.  I'll post if he remembers what he did to get it working.

The 5.5 web client has a much broader support since VMware has stated repeatedly they are going to be phasing out the c# client in favor of the web.

Cheers.

not sure it there are 32 vs 64 bit problems

download bundle from vCS (click on the Install vmware plugin url).

on linux workstation login as root

sh  /var/tmp/VMware-VMRC.x86_64.bundle

cd /usr/lib/vmware-vmrc

mv vmware-vmrc vmware-vmrc.real

vi vmware-vmrc and paste in the following:

-------------------- cut here --------------

#!/bin/sh

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/vmware-vmrc/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8/libcrypto.so.0.9.8

/usr/lib/vmware-vmrc/bin/vmware-vmrc $@

----------------- cut here -------------------

chmod 775 vmware-vmrc

as normal user:

cd /home/eichen/.mozilla/plugins

ln -s /usr/lib/vmware-vmrc/np-vmware-vmrc-e.x.p-874665-64.so np-vmware-vmrc-e.x.p-874665-64.so

that's what I do

but about:plugins, on latest FF, it is no longer lists it as installed

so I end up running /usr/lib/vmware-vmrc/vmware-vmrc directly

which works, but finding the correct vm in the unsorted list is irritating...

<eof>

Later, GC Mobley
0 Kudos